Circular Industrial Designer (f/m/d)
INDEED Innovation is looking for a Circular Industrial Designer (all genders welcome) based in Shanghai.
We welcome creative and strategic minds who want to be part of our journey to build circular innovation that goes beyond human-focused values and achieves planet-centric interventions.
As a Circular Designer at Indeed, you will be focusing on designing sustainable circular products, services, and business models that are driven by circular strategy and design principles. You will be a part of our interdisciplinary teams of designers, engineers, and strategists who aim to realize sustainable circularity by delivering innovation.
Who you are
- You are passionate about sustainability and circular economy and are keen to bring real solutions to the industry
- You have excellent industrial design knowledge and craftsmanship and are passionate about integrating sustainable circularity into product development
- You demonstrate in-depth knowledge in design research and can investigate barriers and opportunities at the policy level, consumer behavior, and in business models throughout the entire life cycle of a product and/or services
- You are knowledgeable about circular design methods and strategic approaches for product circularity by considering reuse, repair, refurbish, remanufacture, and recycle
- You are a systems thinker who sees the big picture and the long-term impacts beyond a single product or service, as well as all of its components and interdependencies between them
- You understand the complex layers of system drivers (technological, economic, social, and environmental) that influence the product and/or services to imagine possible circular design interventions
- You are a proficient learner interested in all aspects of circular design and willing to discover the evolving design methods and tools
- You understand inclusive design practices and are willing to consider a range of human diversity and different perspectives
- You are an excellent communicator and open-minded for cross-functional collaboration and problem-solving
What you’ll do
- Design compelling sustainable, circular products and services for cross-industry sectors
- Research material flows, stakeholders’ needs, user journeys, and business environments of ecosystems
- Investigate and evolve circular design tools and methods that help design for recovery and recycling, extend use cycles, etc.
- Assess the environmental, economic, and social impact of products and services throughout the product’s full life cycle
- Identify new circular innovation opportunities where a business can bring relevant product and service developments
- Bring fresh ideas to support the creative design process and strategic decision-making
- Support in the innovation workshops and design sprints that embed circularity know-how and thinking into the client’s multi-disciplinary team and the entire culture
- Collaborate with Indeed’s Hamburg and New York teams on projects
- Work with clients’ teams who are leading sustainability in their respective industries
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Circular Design, Sustainable Design, Ecodesign, Social Design, or related disciplines
- 2+ years of experience in industrial design or product design field with a solid knowledge of design process and product development
- Good foundational knowledge of the circular economy and circular design principles
- Good knowledge of Design for Manufacturability (DFM) and Design for Recycling
- Strong visual ideation and sketching skills, both physically and digitally (e.g., SketchBook, Procreate)
- Savvy with all relevant design tools, such as SolidWorks/Rhino, KeyShot, and Adobe CC (specifically PS, AI, ID)
- Passionate about hands-on prototyping from physical cardboard and wire mock-ups to functional 3D printed prototypes
- Ability to create compelling narratives to engage clients and other stakeholders
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary and multicultural design teams and be flexible
- Knowledge about eco-design principles such as biomimicry and cradle-to-cradle is a plus
- Industry/client project experience with Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) is a plus
- Strong Chinese and English verbal and written skills
- A valid CN work permit is mandatory
What to expect in our Shanghai Office
- Unique and leading experience in working on sustainable and circular product/service design projects for cross-industry sectors
- An inspiring work environment located in the heart of Shanghai
- A talented and warm-hearted local team paired with international colleagues from INDEED Hamburg and New York
- As an early member of the INDEED Shanghai team, you will have the maximum exposure to the entire process of circular innovation projects
- More team spirit than hierarchies: open project team structure, freedom to experiment, and lead projects
- High-end IT equipment, individual training budget, and books
We are one but not the same.
At Indeed Innovation we give all our colleagues the opportunity to bring their whole selves to work and we strive for an environment where everyone feels included, respected, and empowered. Indeed Innovation is an equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion or belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, military/veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, physical or mental disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
We welcome your difference and actively seek applications from underrepresented groups.
INDEED is the innovation firm for a circular economy. We deliver products, experiences, and systems that eliminate waste, regenerate resources, close the lifecycle loop and help humans to adopt circular business models. We combine design, engineering, and strategy expertise with sustainable development practices and behavioral science principles.
We work for organizations of all sizes and across industries that are already participating in the Circular Economy and those who want to start their Circular Journey.
People & Culture